NewsLocal News


Family credits dog for alerting them of house fire

Posted at 6:24 PM, Jul 18, 2018
and last updated 2018-07-18 19:24:53-04

BROKEN ARROW, Okla. -- Man's best friend becomes man's life saver in Broken Arrow Monday after a family says their dog alerted them of a fire in their house.

"She told me that Wally here woke her up at first sign of danger," said Logan Wieberdink, who was inside the house during the fire.

18-year-old Logan Wieberdink said the family's two-year-old Great Dane, Wally, was clawing and crying at his mother's bedroom door.

"The door’s a little bit broken so he was pushing through the door to get to her," said Wieberdink.

Logan was also inside the house and woke up after hearing his mom screaming to get out of the house.

"When I left my room there was white smoke every where," said Wieberdink.

The two got out safely, but Wally went back inside to search for the youngest brother, Elijah, even though he wasn't home at the time.

"He kept going back inside, making sure everybody was out," said Wieberdink.

The actions coming from more than just a family pet.

"He’s not just a ditzy little puppy, he really cares about us," said Wieberdink.

The family believes the fire started in the kitchen.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook