As of 8:30 p.m., EMSA says medics have responded to eight suspected heat-related calls in the Tulsa area.
EMSA issues a medical heat alert when medics respond to five or more suspected heat-related illness calls in a 24-hour period.
EMSA says this is the fourth day in a row that they have issued a medical heat alert.
EMSA says they have responded to 183 heat-related illness calls since May 1.
"With triple digit temperatures forecast for the weekend, EMSA is urging citizens to make a plan to stay safe over the next several days," officials said. "Plan the amount of time you think will be outdoors and take appropriate amounts of water or other fluids with you, even if just planning for a short amount of outdoor time. Emergencies can happen and you could be stranded outdoors longer than expected. Always have a cell phone with you to call 911, if needed."
Tips for staying healthy in the heat:
· PRE-HYDRATION is key in preventing heat-related illness. Drink plenty of water or electrolyte replacement drinks several hours prior to and during long exposure to the summer heat.
· Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing and a wide brimmed hat if working outdoors and take plenty of shade breaks.
· No alcohol or caffeine.
· If you do not have air conditioning, find a cooling station or public space (such as libraries or malls) during the day.
· Don’t limit your air conditioning. If you are concerned about your electric bill, call PSO or 211. They have programs that could possibly help you.
· Use the buddy system if working outdoors and check on elderly neighbors.
· Keep a cell phone on you at all times when outdoors, including walking, running daily errands, yard work or sports and physical activity.
The following cooling stations are open for business until further notice:
The Salvation Army Center of Hope
102 N. Denver Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
John 3:16 Mission
506 N. Cheyenne
Tulsa, Okla. 74103
Dennis R. Neill Equality Center
621 E. 4th St.
Tulsa, OK 74120
Noon – 9:00 p.m.
Tulsa County Social Services Cooling station
2401 Charles Page Blvd.
Tulsa OK 74127
8:30 a.m. – 8:00 .pm.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.