TULSA — EMSA officials say as of 2:45 p.m. today medics have responded to 5 suspected heat-related incidents in Tulsa.
EMSA issues a medical heat alert when medics respond to five or more suspected heat-related illness calls in a 24-hour period.
Plan the amount of time you think you will be outdoors and take appropriate amounts of water, or other fluids with you, even if you are just planning for a short amount of outdoor time, officials say.
Officials say emergencies can happen and you could be stranded outdoors longer than expected. Always have a cell phone with you to call 911, if needed.
Plan your schedule to allow for frequent breaks indoors, if possible, officials say.
Tips for staying healthy in the heat:
· Pre-hydration is key in preventing heat-related illness. Drink plenty of water or electrolyte replacement drinks several hours prior to and during long exposure to the summer heat.
· Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing and a wide brimmed hat if working outdoors and take plenty of shade breaks.
· No alcohol or caffeine.
· If you do not have air conditioning, find a cooling station or public space (such as libraries or malls) during the day.
· Don’t limit your air conditioning. If you are concerned about your electric bill, call PSO or 211. They have programs that could possibly help you.
· Use the buddy system if working outdoors and check on elderly neighbors.
· Keep a cell phone on you at all times when outdoors, including walking, running daily errands, yard work or sports and physical activity.
Officials say if you do not have air conditioning, find a cooling station near you.
Dial 211 for hours, locations and for information on applying for a window A/C unit, officials say.
Below are the cooling stations that are open for business:
The Salvation Army Center of Hope
102 N. Denver Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
John 3:16 Mission
506 N. Cheyenne
Tulsa, Okla. 74103
Dennis R. Neill Equality Center
621 E. 4th St.
Tulsa, OK 74120
Noon – 6:00 p.m.
Tulsa County Social Services Cooling station
2401 Charles Page Blvd.
Tulsa OK 74127
8:30 a.m. – 8:00 .pm.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.