Electrical fire causes massive damage at Claremore church

Posted at 3:19 PM, Dec 02, 2016
and last updated 2016-12-03 13:41:54-05

CLAREMORE, Okla. -- Claremore Fire Department says an electrical fire is the cause of massive damage at Redeemer Lutheran Church Thursday evening. 

Fire Marshall Jason Crandall says an electrical fire broke out in the attic above the kitchen and nursery just after 5 p.m.

Crandall says the building was built in the 50's. He says it's a $250,000 loss. 

Fire officials say the building will need to be knocked down. 

Crandall says it is a separate building from sanctuary, which was barely damaged. 

He says church members plan on getting the sanctuary walls, carpet and pews cleaned before Sunday. They plan to have Sunday service at the church. 

Fire crews were on scene until 11:30 Thursday night. 

A relief fund has been set up for rebuilding Redeemer Lutheran. If you'd like to donate, you can at any BancFirst location. 

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook