East Tulsa hostage situation involving toddler ends in gunfire, says police

Police use lethal force to end hostage situation
Police use lethal force to end hostage situation
Posted at 3:54 AM, Oct 18, 2016
and last updated 2016-10-18 19:44:54-04

TULSA - Lethal force was used to end a hostage situation in east Tulsa involving a toddler, says police. 

The Special Operations Team was called out to the scene near East 44th Street and South 170 East Avenue at 11:41 p.m. on Monday after a domestic-related call.

Police say a 44-year-old man broke into his estranged wife's home, grabbed her two-year-old daughter and held the girl hostage.

The woman was able to escape the house with her other three young children and her boyfriend.

Officers say the man made several threatening gestures from the home's balcony pointing the handgun at the girl and officers. Police used a translator to try and reason with the suspect, but officers say the man refused to comply with commands.

Finally, after 3 a.m. a police sniper opened fired once, killing the suspect. Officers say the girl is safe and has been reunited with her family.

Police say the suspect was not related to the girl, but he was the father of the three young children who were also in the house.

 Residents like Rhonda Meshew, said they couldn’t believe a man took a 2 year-old hostage in their neighborhood overnight.

“I think it’s tragic. I can’t say anything else, I mean that’s just terrible I can’t even imagine going through something like that,” said Meshew.

“Obviously it was really surprising and disappointing that you feel like that wouldn’t happen here especially in this neighborhood, “ said Destiny Paolercio.

This is an ongoing investigation.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook