NewsLocal News

Actions

Community officials working to resolve issues at Chateau 68

Web-Default-Image-KJRH_1280x720.png
Posted at 3:10 PM, Nov 13, 2019
and last updated 2019-11-13 16:10:38-05

TULSA, Okla. — The owners of Chateau 68, Lynn and Richard Bessey, the Tulsa Health Department, the Tulsa Fire Marshall's and the City of Tulsa's Working in Neighborhoods met today in hopes to find a solution to the ongoing troubles at Chateau 68 Apartments.

The owners claim the gas and water has been restored, and rent is still expected to be paid on time.

However, residents say they still don’t have heat and some have received eviction notices because they refuse to pay.

“Either pay the rent or move out, and I am like I don’t have that money," Harris said. "I can’t work anymore.”

The Tulsa Health Department says repair work is continuing to restore heat to residents.

Also, the order to vacate remains in effect.

Residents are able to stay in their homes as long as the temperature remains at 65 or above, and as long as permanent repairs are being made.

For the safety of residents, the Fire Marshall's Office has put the property under mandatory fire watch due to the use of multiple space heaters in the apartments.

68-year-old resident Jinger Kelly says she pays her rent on time.

Kelly says she believes residents should have discounted rent due to the problems.

“Since we are having all these heating problems, if they do want their rent, compensate the people again for having to go without heat,” Kelly said.

Details of actions for repairs, a timeline of repairs, and plans for residents if repairs aren’t made will be released as soon as we learn what was decided in Wednesdays meeting.

The Fire Marshall's Office wants to remind residents of the importance of temporary alternative sources of heat like space heaters.

The Tulsa Health Department offers these tips:

  • If space heaters must be used, keep them three feet from anything that can burn and on a hard floor surface
  • Gas heaters must have safety devices and be approved to be used in some living spaces
  • Chimneys and wood burning stoves should be properly vented and properly cleaned and maintained
  • Never use a cook stove to heat a living area
  • Space heaters should also be UL approved and be plugged directly into a wall socket
  • Buy a unit with a tip-over safety switch, to shut off the heating element if the heater falls over
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home
  • Install and maintain smoke detectors in your home

stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for apple and android and kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: breaking news, severe weather, school closings, daily headlines and daily forecasts.

Follow us on twitter

like us on facebook