There are now more streaming TV services than ever, you've got Apple TV, Roku, Fire TV with Amazon, Hulu and several other options that are out there.
Darrell Johnson and his family made the switch.
They dumped cable and Darrell says he's saving about $60 a month.
Johnson says, " I'm all about saving. You know what I'm saying?"
The Johnson's switched to the internet television service, Sling TV.
Darrell's 13-year-old loves it.
Jezaleigh Johnson says, "It has many different channels on it, and it's endless. "
They also signed up with Netflix.
And the 10-year-old athlete in the house says he can always find something to watch.
Dante Johnson says, "I can pick whatever I want because there's sports on all three; Sling, Netflix and YouTube."
So are you looking to make the move to streaming live tv?
Research firm eMarketer says most streaming service plans are less than half the cost of the average pay TV bill.
But you're going to get fewer channels, here's a breakdown.
- Sling is the most affordable option with two different plans at $25 a month. They also have a $40 plan with about 50 channels.
- Hulu runs $45 a month, with more than 60 live and on-demand channels, plus Hulu Originals.
- YouTube TV is $50 per month with 70-plus channels.
- Direct TV offers streaming plans for $50 to $70 per month, with nearly 50 channels, plus on-demand.
- And the Sony Playstation Vue is $50 to $85 per month, with 50 to 100 live and on-demand channels.
Then there's streaming on-demand services.
These's options don't offer live TV, but they do have lots of movies, re-runs of popular TV shows, plus original content.
Plus two highly anticipated on-demand services coming soon, Disney Plus and Apple TV Plus.
If you're just not ready to make the switch, there is some good news!
Cable and satellite companies are constantly offering special deals.
Just call customer service to see what they can offer to help lower your bill.
But Darrell isn't looking back and thinks others should take the plunge.
Johnson says, "You're going to be glad you did it because you're saving money. Just give it a try. Trust me."
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.