Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma announced on Monday that they will be covering the cost of coronavirus tests for its members.
Effective immediately, BCBSOK officials say members will have access to COVID-19, better known as coronavirus, testing, and the members' co-pays or deductibles will not apply, nor will it require preauthorization. Officials say the tests will be covered for its members when it is "medically necessary and consistent with CDC guidelines."
"We are committed to helping our members, employer customers and our own employees stay informed about COVID-19 and assisting those who might be affected," said Dr. Joseph Cunningham, president of BCBSOK. “We are closely monitoring developments of COVID-19 and stand ready to assist doctors, hospitals and federal, state and local public health organizations in serving our members, our community and employees.”
Officials say the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are offering free testing as well.
According to the BCBSOK, the CDC recommends the below actions to help with preventing the 'spread of respiratory diseases':
- Stay home when you are sick;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth;
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash;
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available;
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe; and
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Officials advise Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma members, who have questions about this or their coverage, to call the number on the back of their BCBSOK ID card.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.