NewsLocal News


Athlete released after spending 109 days in hospital

Posted at 11:53 AM, Dec 13, 2018
and last updated 2018-12-13 13:27:49-05

TULSA — A Tulsa family’s prayers have been answered.

Their son, a Holland Hall graduate turned collegiate athlete, is finally leaving the hospital today after several months of recovery.

RELATED STORY: Holland Hall graduate, college athlete fights for life after collapsing during workout

It’s been a long and emotional journey for the Springman family who at one time thought their son would not make it. But instead - they are taking him home today.

Slater Springman was rushed to the hospital in Tennessee after he collapsed during conditioning with the baseball team.

He had a core fever of 105 and his health worsened when he eventually had to be put into a medical coma.

Doctors then diagnosed Springman with a rare condition - Rhabdomyolysis, which affects the muscle fibers by releasing their contents into the bloodstream.

He wasn’t able to talk, eat, or walk.

After a while, he was moved to St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa.

After weeks and weeks of physical therapy - he’s able to stand and walk with assistance.

Springman gives all the credit to God, friends, and prayers.

"I really think that’s what saved me," Springman said. "I got texts, calls, Facebook messages all over, just I mean even if it’s short, ‘hey, I’m praying for you. Heard your story.' There were people I didn’t even know that would send me stuff like that."

Doctors told Springman he had the worst case of Rhabdomylosis on record and plan to start a case study on him for the American Medical Journal.

Springman says he’s most looking forward to being in his own bed and is ready to get back to his old life.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple
and Android
and Kindle

Sign up for
newsletters emailed to your inbox.
Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook