TULSA — 2 Works for You hosted a Disaster Relief Drive in conjunction with the Red Cross on June 4 to raise money for Oklahomans impacted by storms and flooding in the state during May.
2 Works for You viewers called in to donate during a phone bank from 4-6:30 p.m. on Tuesday and donated more than $5,400.
Donations also can be made online via the link below:
How does your donation help?
- $10 Provides 1 hot meal and additional snacks to a person – these nourishing meals that include a main course, snacks and a drink are provided by Red Cross workers and distributed at shelters or through mobile feeding in communities by Red Cross emergency response vehicles
- $50 Provides a fully day of food and shelter for 1 person – This service includes providing breakfast, lunch, and dinner, the cost to mobilize and distribute a cot, two blankets and a comfort kit as well as the cost to support Red Cross workers providing this service.
- $100 Covers the cost of Red Cross cleanup kits for 5 families – These kits, stored and ready for distribution nationwide, contain items needed to begin recovery immediately after a disaster. Each kit comes with a sectional handle with mop, broom, squeegee, and push brook heads, pail, scrub brush, sponge, disinfectant, detergent/degreaser, bleach, trash bags, gloves and dust mask.
- $300 Covers the cost to deploy an Emergency Response Vehicle – This specialized vehicle is designed by the Red Cross to serve people affected by disasters by driving through affected communities to deliver meals, snacks, relief supplies, information and comfort. This daily cost includes cost of fuel and maintenance.
- $1,000 Provides food and shelter for a family of 4 for 5 days – This service includes providing breakfast, lunch and dinner, the cost to mobilize and distribute a cot, two blankets, and a comfort kit as well as the costs of Red Cross workers to provide this support.
- $1,650 Covers the cost to deploy a Red Cross volunteer in an operation – This includes travel, transportation, lodging, food and vital support systems like our Volunteer Connection portal. The average length of a disaster deployment is 11 days.
- $5,000 Average cost of opening or preparing a shelter for 1 night – This service includes providing breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, the costs to mobilize and distribute a cot, two blankets and a comfort kit for 150 people. This figure also includes the cost of Red Cross workers to provide this support.
Notes about the current disaster response operation from Red Cross:
• Since May 21, some 17 Red Cross and community shelters have provided 1,064 overnight stays for people seeking safe refuge across Oklahoma.
• The Red Cross has also served more than 11,865 meals and snacks to people in these impacted communities.
• The Red Cross has made more than 915 health and mental health contacts in the field.
• As areas become accessible and people return to their homes, the Red Cross is beginning to distribute relief supplies and bringing food and water directly to some of the hardest hit communities.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.