TULSA- A dozen families are displaced Saturday after fire ripped through a south Tulsa apartment building.
Many residents say they were shocked by how fast the fire spread.
The Tulsa Fire Department says that fire spread quickly because of the wind. Many residents who lived in the building say they barely escaped.
“I smelled something and i woke up and i opened the blinds and i saw fire down below,” said displaced resident William Goodall.
Goodall and his wife Haley say they're lucky to be alive.
“I just grabbed both of our babies and we ran,” said Haley. “And by the time we got downstairs, our whole apartment was in flames. And the ones next to us was catching on fire.”
Crews believe it was a discarded cigarette that ignited some boxes sitting outside. Within minutes, flames were shooting through the roof.
“By the time i got back around here, flames had already engulfed my apartment,” said displaced resident Laura Haskell. “Something had to have blown up.”
Crews fought the flames for almost an hour. Two firefighters were burned when a balcony collapsed...another hurt in the ribs by the roof that caved in. They were treated and released at the hospital.
Paramedics also checked out the Goodall's young children. They're okay, but their parents are facing a long road ahead.
“Yeah..all of our stuff is gone,” said Haley Goodall.
Things can be replaced, people can't,” said Haskell. “I'm just glad we're all okay.”
The Red Cross is helping all 18 people who are displaced. Meanwhile, the injured firefighters are expected to follow up with medical specialists Sunday.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.