Jack Ulrich released after being questioned in connection with fireworks stand shooting

Posted at 12:05 PM, Jul 04, 2017
and last updated 2017-07-06 19:07:11-04

TULSA -- The teen shot and killed during the robbery of a fireworks stand has been identified as 15-year-old Jake Ulrich.

A person of interest, Jack Ulrich, 27, who is Jake Ulrich's cousin, turned himself in for questioning in connection with the shooting. After he was questioned, he was released pending further investigation.

Deputies say the shooter is 32-year-old Johnny Mize Jr. His father, Johnny Mize is the fireworks stand’s owner.

Deputies found Ulrich inside the green pickup that he and another man, suspected of stealing the fireworks, were driving.

Investigators say they were armed when they approached the fireworks stand around 11:30 a.m. Tuesday.

The suspects then allegedly grabbed a box of fireworks worth $600 and ran away.

The stand’s owner said the robbers fired a shot first, so his son fired back. Deputies say the son ran after two men and jumped into the bed of their truck.

Authorities say the shooter’s father got into his car and followed the truck to 65th and Edison where deputies say the surviving person of interest ran away empty-handed.

Mike Waresback witnessed the aftermath of the crime while he sat on his porch.

He said he saw commotion going on in the street in front of his West Edison Street home. Waresback approached the green truck stopped in front of his home and saw a man dead in the front seat. He called police.

"I think it is a very big tragedy," Waresback said. "No two ways about it."

Waresback said he watched family members show up to the scene crying and it was hard for him to watch. He wishes the suspects would not have put themselves in that position.

"I was taught since I was little, right from wrong and yes from no," Waresback explained. "Keep your hands in your own pockets. Don’t steal from people. Don’t go into their house or bad things will happen."

The escape vehicle may have been a red Dodge, deputies said.

The owner of the fireworks stand was questioned by detectives and released as the investigation continues.

Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.

Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.

Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook