The International Coffee Organization sets a number of dates for countries to celebrate "National Coffee Day." Sept. 29 is the designated date for the U.S., Japan, South Africa and a number of other nations.
You can score free coffee at a number of national chains, including:
- Dunkin' Donuts
- Krispy Kreme
Looking for a local coffee shop in the Tulsa area? Check out these spots:
Five facts about coffee:
1. The U.S. is not number one when it comes to coffee consumption. "On a per capita coffee consumption basis, the the U.S is medium sized beverage, in a sea of extra large coffee drinking nations," says WorldAtlas.com.
2. Coffee is second only to oil as the world's most valuable commodity. (GlobalExchange.org)
3. Humans drink a lot of coffee: Annual global consumption is about 12 billion pounds. (GlobalExchange.org)
4. While there is an endless variety of coffee-based beverages, there are only two kinds of beans: Arabica and Robusta.
"Seventy percent of coffee beans are Arabica. Although less popular, Robusta is slightly more bitter and has twice as much caffeine." -- GoodHousekeeping.com
5. Coffee is a fruit. Coffee beans are actually the pits of berries that grow on bushes.
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox. Select from these options: Breaking News, Severe Weather, School Closings, Daily Headlines and Daily Forecasts.