Dog dies in west Tulsa mobile home fire; two mobile homes, truck catch fire
11:12 AM, Jul 20, 2017
4:03 PM, Jul 20, 2017
TULSA -- The Sapulpa Fire Department says a dog has died after a mobile home fire Thursday morning.
The department says they responded to the fire at 46th West Avenue around 9:45 a.m.
Firefighters say two mobile homes and a truck caught fire. A woman and a dog were able to safely escape the flames.
A second dog died in the fire. The department says the fire may have been caused by electrical issues.
Cora Arneecher was in her mobile home at the time it caught fire with a friend. She said at first the two tried to put it out themselves.
"I was trying to get water to help him, but I seen it going up," Arneecher said. "I just ran in and grabbed the dog and the purse."
She realized she could not, so she called the fire department.
Capt. Darrin Kragel with the Sapulpa Fire Department said at a fire that size, they would usually only bring two engines and a ladder truck. Instead, they brought out everything they had.
"With the heat the way it is approaching 100 degrees, we felt like it was necessary to bring every truck out, rotate them in and out and rehydrate them," Capt. Kragel said. "We can't let them sit out, so we rehydrate them and they go back to work."
Capt. Kragel said they had to sort through debris to even get to the fire.
"It makes it extremely difficult to fight the fire," Capt. Kragel said. "With all the fire that is coming down on this debris, you have to sift through every bit of it to make sure every single piece is out before you can leave the scene."
Arneecher sat in the grass watching the fireworks put out the fire that burned her home, pictures and memories.