US Marshals capture 2nd Wagoner County escapee; Mickey Staggs and Larry Cotton both in custody

WAGONER, Okla. - Both escapees from the Wagoner County Jail are back in custody after the second inmate was apprehended by US Marshals.

Mickey Staggs was captured by US Marshals Tuesday before noon and Larry Cotton was apprehended without incident at a south Wagoner apartment complex just hours earlier.

Sheriff Bob Colbert said during a press conference Tuesday morning authorities received a tip from the public that Cotton was inside an empty unit at Autumn Woods Apartments. He was unarmed when he was taken into custody.

Dan Davis, supervisory deputy U.S. Marshal, said Cotton looked "rough" after his capture.

"He had a hard night running. Covered with sticks ... sweaty, barefoot," he said. "Just totally exhausted."

Davis said Staggs was found walking along a lake near Highway 51 in his boxers around 11:45 a.m.

"[Staggs] was just down to a pair of boxer shorts, running through the sticks, the brush, running through the lake," he said. "He looked like he was ready to be captured."

On Monday night, Colbert said Cotton and Staggs temporarily took a jailer hostage, locked him in Cotton's cell and fled the facility just before 9 p.m. He said the two inmates lured the jailer inside the cell after complaining about a maintenance problem. 

Colbert tells 2NEWS the jailer was "choked out" and hit over the head by Cotton and Staggs. The jailer was in the cell about 15 to 20 minutes before he was freed. He sustained minor bumps and bruises but he wasn't seriously injured.

Colbert said during the press conference Cotton, 25, and Staggs, 38, gave authorities a good indication of where they were heading because they left their jail-issued clothes scattered around the facility.

Six law enforcement agencies searched overnight for the men.

Colbert said authorities received several tips from the public reporting sightings of Cotton and Staggs, including a resident who reported Staggs tried to gain entry to their home around 7:30 a.m.

Colbert said investigators pored over inmates' phone calls and determined that while this was likely a planned event they do not believe Cotton and Staggs received help from anyone on the outside. He says the escapees discussed their plan in the pod but were not cell mates and he doesn't believe they knew each other prior to being jailed at the facility.

Colbert said the jail was locked down after the escape, adding that the facility is currently over capacity with 109 inmates. The capacity is 101 but they can legally hold 152 inmates.

The jailer -- who Colbert described as new to the facility, an excellent employee who "did the right thing" -- will take several days off as suggested by his doctors.

Print this article Back to Top