3 teenage suspects charged with 1st-degree murder in shooting of Papa John's delivery driver

TULSA - Three teenagers are charged with first-degree murder in connection with a deadly shooting outside a Tulsa Papa John's restaurant early Saturday morning.

Police released the names of 17-year-olds Damian Anderson, Jermaine Savory and Frankie Jackson Monday afternoon.

Homicide detectives say Savory and Jackson were seen driving a vehicle matching the description of a Saturn Vue SUV seen near the crime scene.

READ: Police identify man killed outside of Papa John's Pizza Saturday morning (http://bit.ly/Y6nyDE)

Robert Horton, 53, was shot outside the restaurant near 11th Street and Delaware Avenue around 6 a.m. Saturday. Police believe it happened during an attempted robbery. Investigators got the vehicle description from security cameras in the area.

"We can tell kind of how many people are coming up over the fence at that particular time into the getaway vehicle, so rest assured that if they're looking at the video of the car leaving, we have them on video jumping the fence," said Sgt. Dave Walker.

During a search at Savory's home they recovered five guns but they did not recover the murder weapon.

During questioning, police say the suspects placed the blame on each other. They say the suspects were driving the streets early Saturday morning looking to rob someone.

Detectives say they identified some of the teens after they determined the SUV is the same car used in a number of other Tulsa robberies over the past two months.

Miles away from Tulsa in Arlington, Texas, Horton's daughter spoke out.

"He was a good person. And he loved everybody. He did. He loved everybody and accepted everybody," said Angela Mansfield.

Mansfield says she's already forgiven the suspects. She says she's leaning on her faith.

"I just can't come to be angry. I am not angry," Mansfield said.

Damian's mom, Lashon Anderson, says her son left for the bus stop around 7 a.m. Monday, but didn't make it there before police got to him.

"I don't care what they say. My baby didn't do this. My baby didn't do it," Anderson said.

Anderson believes her youngest son stayed in the car when this murder happened. "I told him about hanging with him," she said. "I didn't want him hanging with him and he knew it. He knew it."

Anderson hopes this is just a minor set back and that her youngest son will graduate from Union High School next year.

"I have to put my strength in God right now. I just have to pray," she said. "That's all I can do."

Gabriel Flores was with Robert Horton during this delivery. He says he heard a loud bang and then his co-worker of 12 years scream "Oh my God."

Flores, who spoke by phone with 2NEWS Monday, said, "It helps me with the closure part, that they've caught them."

Print this article Back to Top