Steven Ray Thacker executed Tuesday for 1999 murder of Bixby woman

MCALESTER, Okla. - The man who went on a 1999 three-state killing spree has died by lethal injection at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary.

Steven Ray Thacker was scheduled for execution at 6 p.m. Tuesday.

Thacker was sentenced to death for kidnapping and murdering 25-year-old Laci Dawn Hill.

Thacker met Hill Dec. 23, 1999 at the woman's Bixby home after she placed an advertisement in the newspaper to sell a pool table.

He took Hill from her home to a remote cabin where he raped and murdered her.

In the days that followed, Thacker murdered Forrest Reed Boyd in Missouri and Ray Patterson in Tennessee.

Thacker was also sentenced to death for the Tennessee murder. He was given a life sentence for the murder in Missouri.

After Thacker's 2002 sentencing, 2NEWS spoke with Larry Griffin, Hill's brother, who said he believes his sister's killer deserves to die.

"The fact that he's allowed to take one more breath longer than my sister makes me want to vomit," he said.

See Griffin's full interview above.  (Mobile users can click the videos tab.)

Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt released the following statement on Thacker's execution: "Steven Thacker was sentenced to death for savagely ending the life of an innocent young woman. My thoughts are with the families of Laci, Forrest and Ray, who all lost loved ones due to Thacker's heinous killing spree."

Thacker's last words expressed his regret: "I would like to apologize to the families of Laci Hill, Forest Boyd and Ray Patterson for the pain I've caused them. I don't deserve it. But as God has forgiven me, I hope you will forgive me for the pain I've caused. I would like to thank my family and friends for their love and support. When my body is gone, my spirit will be with them. Jesus Christ died for my sins. God has forgiven me. An eternity in heaven is mine."

The execution began seconds later.  He was declared dead at 6:10 p.m.

Print this article Back to Top