Since 1987, the Scripps Heisman Poll, the longest-running Heisman poll in the U.S., has correctly predicted the Heisman Trophy winner 22 of 26 years. Here are the results for the week of Sept. 15, our first survey of the season:
Player, School, Season Stats, Poll Points (first-place votes in parentheses)
1. QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M, 11 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, 1,137 total yards, 36 (3).
2. QB A.J. McCarron, Alabama, 5 passing TDs, 0 rushing TDs, 290 total yards, 33 (3).
3. QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon, 7 passing TDs, 4 rushing TDs, 1,151 total yards, 33 (2).
4. QB Tahj Boyd, Clemson, 3 passing TDs, 3 rushing TDs, 491 total yards, 19 (2).
5. QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville, 10 passing TDs, 0 rushing TDs, 1,037 total yards, 19 (0).
Other players receiving votes: Georgia RB Todd Gurley, 3; Miami RB Randy "Duke" Johnson and UCLA QB Brett Hundley, 2; and Ohio State QB Braxton Miller, Utah State QB Chuckie Keeton and Florida State QB Jameis Winston, 1.
Points are awarded on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis, with five points for a first-place vote, four points for second, etc.
Voters: Randy Beard, Evansville Courier & Press; Kirk Bohls, Austin American-Statesman; Jimmy Burch, Fort Worth Star-Telegram; Carolyn McAtee Cerbin, Scripps Howard News Service; Dennis Dodd, CBSSports.com; Vahe Gregorian, Kansas City Star; Mike Griffith, Mlive.com; Al Jerkens, KJRH-Tulsa; Ben Higgins, KGTV-San Diego; Todd Jones, Columbus Dispatch.