OSU president calls for task force investigation into handling of sex abuse claims against student

A day after a suspended Oklahoma State University student turned himself over to Stillwater authorities for alleged sexual abuse, OSU's president has called for a comprehensive investigation of its policies and procedures.

The university actually created a task force to review its sexual misconduct practices following Penn State's troubles earlier this summer, but President Burns Hargis requested Tuesday that the investigation be expanded to include the recent claims. 

"The seriousness of this matter warrants a focused and full investigation into how it was handled by the University," Hargis said. 

Allegations of abuse first surfaced Monday when the university newspaper reported receiving an anonymous email claiming a former FarmHouse Fraternity member committed more than 10 assaults on new members.

The next day, OSU suspended 22-year-old Nathan Cochran, Oklahoma State's interfraternity council secretary for the 2011-2012 school year, for three years.

Court documents released Wednesday detailed two separate incidents in which Cochran is accused of sexually abusing sleeping men.

On Wednesday, a warrant was issued for Cochran.  He turned himself in late that night. He faces three counts of sexual battery.

Task force head and OSU/A&M Board chair Andy Lester praised OSU's president for his decision following the announcement.

"As I said when we formed the task force, we have an absolute responsibility to review our policies in the aftermath of Penn State," Lester said. "This is a very serious matter, and I applaud President Hargis for calling on the task force to include it in our review."

Print this article Back to Top