BARTLESVILLE, Okla. - Two search warrant affidavits filed at the Washington County courthouse Tuesday have revealed new details concerning the OSBI investigation into four Bartlesville police officers accused of official misconduct.
The case, the results of which the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation turned over to the district attorney's office last week, was opened late in September after Bartlesville Police Chief Tom Holland requested the agency to investigate the officers.
While the names of the officers involved have not yet been released, the affidavits point to an incident on Sept. 18 at Jane Phillips Medical Center involving "several" police officers.
According to the affidavits — warrants to obtain DVD video surveillance from an emergency room examination room that day — police were called to assist hospital security with a patient who had become agitated.
Reportedly, he had admitted himself to the hospital due to suicidal thoughts and later became agitated as hospital staff began to evaluate him.
A "concerned citizen" present in the room when police arrived told a police investigator the man had been handcuffed and had become combative with an officer. Officers in the room then "slammed" the man onto a cot in the room, then onto the floor and "at one point one of the officers had choked him to the point of unconsciousness.
Further, the citizen told the investigator when the man was taken from the hospital, a second emergency detention order came in involving a 17-year-old who had assaulted two females, torn a sink off the wall and was threatening to kill or harm the medical staff if they entered the room.
When police arrived, according to the "concerned citizen," they told the guard to handcuff the 17-year-old. However, when they learned the subject's age, they told the guard there was nothing they could do and left the 17-year-old handcuffed with the security guard, said the affidavits.
When contacted during the week, Police Chief Tom Holland told 2NEWS the officers in question are now on paid leave and he and the district attorney are both looking at the report submitted by the OSBI.
In speaking with 2NEWS, District Attorney Kevin Buchanan said he is currently looking at the OSBI's prosecution report and will make a decision on what to do with it by Dec. 2.