Use it or lose it: Money on your unused gift cards could go into state coffers

TULSA - There are laws in place that require businesses to report unclaimed property to the state.    
In Oklahoma gift cards are included however unlike bank accounts or stocks; many times businesses don't know who the gift cards were issued to much less who may have received them.

That unused money on gift cards is turned over to the state as belonging to "unknown owner".

Click here to search for any unclaimed property or money that may be waiting for you.

Gift card money that comes to the state as unknown owner goes into a state fund and is used to pay unclaimed property claims, operations and some is transferred out for appropriation by the legislature. shares this additional information about unused gift cards:

The Changing Landscape of Unused Gift Cards

Gift cards are a popular gift to give and receive. However, if they are not used, they may be turned over to your state government as unclaimed property.

Escheatment laws have required financial institutions to report and remit abandoned or unclaimed intangible property to the state. This has historically applied to uncashed checks, bank accounts and mutual funds.

But in a time of budget cuts, recession, and shortages, it is not surprising that many states have expanded escheatment rulings to include unused gift cards, bringing in millions of dollars each year.   According to the Wall Street Journal, New York state took in $9.6 million in unclaimed gift card money in 2008, but only $2,150 was distributed to consumers.

The TowerGroup estimates that $41 billion in gift cards have not been used since 2005.    When a gift card is unclaimed for a designated period, some states take custody of the card and add the value to the treasury's general fund until it is claimed by the rightful owner.   The time of abandonment varies by state, but is typically two to five years.

The escheatment laws differ from state to state, and some states like Maryland and Arizona fully or partially exempt gift cards from escheatment laws.   New Jersey is creating a controversy with card issuers as it takes aggressive action to claim unused or unspent values on gift cards while claiming it is protecting consumers.   New Jersey's Chapter 25 law was enacted in 2010 to include "stored value cards" as unclaimed property.   After two years of inactivity, the user must transfer the remaining value of the card to the state.   It also requires the issuer to collect the name and address of purchasers, or at least the purchaser's zip code.

Gift card providers like American Express, InComm, and the Blackhawk Network are refusing to comply and plan to stop selling gift cards in New Jersey in June.   The issuers say collecting this information is too costly to implement, and retailers that do not typically collect address information must implement a process to at least collect the zip codes for each purchaser.

"Both retailers and governments want to help themselves to this unused money," says Bill Hardekopf, CEO of  "Retailers benefit from unused gift cards by moving unredeemed amounts off their balance sheets and reclaiming the amounts as revenue."

Unredeemed gift cards, known as "breakage income" for business, can be a significant source of revenue. For instance, Home Depot recognized $42 million in gift card breakage income during 2011, as well as $46 million in 2010 and $40 million in 2009.   However, before recognizing breakage income, companies must first determine that state escheatment laws do not apply.

"Now is the time to collect all gift cards from drawers, wallets and car consoles and start using them," says Hardekopf. "If you can't use them, give them away or sell them at a gift card exchange like or
If you think you have missing or unclaimed assets, you can run a quick search by entering your name and state at or your state treasury department.   Examples of unclaimed money can be forgotten bank accounts, stock dividends, insurance refunds and customer overpayments.   If a claim is found, you will have to submit more information to receive your money.

Print this article Back to Top