Phoenix police looking for elderly man as suspected law firm shooter; 1 dead, 2 wounded

PHOENIX (From our sister station ABC15) - Police have identified a man who was shot and killed Wednesday in an attack at a Phoenix office complex.

Phoenix police Sgt. Tommy Thompson said 48-year-old Steve Singer was one of three people shot by suspect Arthur Douglas Harmon.

A second victim remains in critical condition and a third suffered non-life threatening injuries.

Phoenix police are continuing to search for Harmon, who fled the scene at 16th Street and Glendale Avenue after opening fire around 10:45 a.m. in the lobby of the law firm DeConcini McDonald Yetwin & Lacy, P.C.

Thompson said Harmon also shot at a vehicle on 16th Street after the shooting, when he learned he was being followed by a Good Samaritan. He remains on the loose as of 4:30 p.m.

Harmon fled in a white 2013 Kia Optima with Arizona license plate AVS-2052.

Local law firm Osborn Maledon also identified one of the people shot as 43-year-old Mark Hummels. He is believed to be in critical condition following surgery.

Hummels was reportedly representing Singer in mediation at the time of the shooting.

The third victim was a 32-year-old woman with non-life threatening injuries, Thompson said.

Thompson said Harmon went into the law office for mediation and apparently got into an altercation with Singer and Hummels.

Harmon then shot the victims and left the building, Thompson said.

Two other people police initially identified as "hurt" received treatment related to stress.

Phoenix police were later seen trying to locate Harmon at his home near 28th Street and Acoma Drive.

Police obtained a search warrant and moved in around 4 p.m. Two people were at the home but the suspect was not inside.

Officers were also called out to a Phoenix building near Central Avenue and Thomas Road around 1:15 p.m. after reports that a car at the location may be related to the shooting. It appears nothing was recovered at that location.

At the scene of the shooting, multiple police vehicles and fire trucks were parked in front of the office complex for several hours Wednesday.

Police officers and a police dog were seen sifting through the office building's parking lot, as tactical teams swept the building.

Print this article Back to Top