LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Microsoft has unveiled Surface, a tablet computer to compete with Apple's iPad.
CEO Steve Ballmer was on hand to announce the tablet, calling it part of a "whole new family of devices" the company is developing.
The 9.3 millimeter thick tablet comes with a kickstand to hold it upright and keyboard that is part of the device's cover. It weighs under 1.5 pounds.
Steven Sinofsky, the president of Microsoft's Windows division, called the device a "tablet that's a great PC --a PC that's a great tablet."
In producing its own tablet computer, Microsoft Corp. is entering a market dominated by Apple Inc. Six out of every 10 tablets shipped are iPads, according to research firm IHS iSuppli.
Here are the top five manufacturers of tablets last year:
- Apple Inc., maker of the iPad, 40.5 million shipped worldwide, 62 percent share
- Samsung Electronics Co., maker of Galaxy line, 6.1 million, 9 percent.
- Amazon.com Inc., maker of Kindle Fire, 3.9 million, 6 percent
- Barnes & Noble, maker of Nook products, 3.3 million, 5 percent
- AsusTek Computer Inc., maker of Transformer line, 2.1 million, 3 percent
- Other, 9.4 million, 14 percent