Tulsa Serial Attacker: Police identify suspect in sexual assault case

TULSA - Tulsa police Chief Chuck Jordan says the department has identified a possible suspect in the string of sexual assaults.

Jordan identified the man as Desmond L. Campbell.

RELATED: Tulsans, victim relieved suspect has been located

"As in all cases of serious crime, any possible evidence is examined in the Tulsa police lab and then is often forwarded to OSBI for additional examination. As a result of these examinations, Desmond Campbell was identified as a possible suspect," said Jordan.

RELATED: Who is Desmond L. Campbell?

Campbell is in the hospital recovering from a single-car accident Sunday morning. He is in critical condition and unresponsive. Police say the car Campbell was driving hit a light pole on I-44 around 5:45 a.m. June 29, about 10 minutes after an assault at 11th and Memorial.

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation confirmed the evidence matched Campbell. He now faces charges on seven sexual assaults dating back to June 5.

The task force set up to track down the suspect will be disbanded and officers will return to their normal line of work.

"They spent a lot of time on static surveillance looking for people to pass by coming into neighborhood," said Jordan. "Some of the most boring police work you can possibly do. It's mind-numbing. And they stayed alert. They stayed the course and did what they were supposed to do and I'm proud of them."

Campbell has not officially been arrested but is being monitored by police at the hospital.

The first attack was on June 5. The most recent attack, the seventh, was June 29.

On Sunday, Investigators say a man fitting the description of the suspect entered the home of a woman in her 60s around 5:30 a.m. while she was home alone near 11th and Memorial. The victim described the suspect as a light-skinned black male about 5 feet 8 inches tall, thinly built with muscular arms and short hair.

There was an assault at the Coppermill Apartments on 71st Street between Sheridan and Yale June 6. Police are still investigating that situation to determine if it is linked to the other seven.

Print this article Back to Top