TPD: Man shot, killed by Hillcrest Medical Center security guard outside hospital identified

A man is dead after Tulsa police say he was shot and killed by a Hillcrest Medical Center security guard. 

Tulsa police responded to the shooting around 3:30 p.m. at the corner of 12th and St. Louis. 

According to police, Hillcrest security received a call of a man tampering with cars in the hospital parking lot. Guards began to chase the suspect after he attempted to steal a motorcycle. 

A witness tells 2NEWS he saw a man running through the hospital parking lot while yelling. Officers then chased him, and the man jumped over a low concrete wall, according to the witness. Witnesses then say the suspect drew a gun, and one guard shot the man.

Police say that during the chase, two security officers were able to confront the man near the southwest end of the parking lot. The man showed the officers a handgun and pointed it at the officers. That is when one of the security officers fired one shot killing the man.

Tulsa Police have identified the man as Jorge Urbina, 35, of Fort Worth, Texas.

A loaded .40 caliber handgun was recovered near the body, police say. This gun was reported stolen out of Oklahoma City on May 1st.

During the investigation officers say the man arrived in the parking lot in a black Chevrolet pickup towing a trailer. During the chase the black pickup with trailer attached fled the scene. Detectives were able to locate the truck and trailer at 2015 E. 12th Pl, officials say. The truck was registered to the man, but numerous stolen items were recovered from the truck and trailer.

Detectives say the man is from the Dallas Fort Worth area and had driven on Highway 40 east through Fort Smith, Van Buren and Springdale, Arkansas stealing items along the way.

The security officer who shot the man has been released pending further investigation, officers say.

Police are still working to notify the man's family and will not be releasing his name until then.

Flowers were placed at the scene of the shooting Friday night.

Hillcrest officials are not commenting on the incident.

Print this article Back to Top