Father burned trying to save disabled son in fatal Sapulpa house fire

SAPULPA, Okla. - Fire crews believe they have pinpointed the cause of a deadly fire that engulfed a Sapulpa home Monday morning.

The state fire marshal says a portable space heater sparked the house fire around 10:30 a.m. near 61st Street and 46th West Avenue

Assistant Sapulpa fire chief David Taylor says a father and son were in the home when the fire began.

Taylor says the father attempted to save his physically disabled son, 44-year-old Matthew Locust, but was unable.

Family says Locust, on the second floor when the fire began, had multiple sclerosis and had trouble moving around.

"He was giving. The most giving person you'll ever meet," said Samantha Cooper, Locust's niece.

Locust's father, Bill, suffered from smoke inhalation and burns to his face and arms when he reportedly tried to rescue his son before crews were able to arrive.

He was taken to a local hospital for treatment and has been transferred to the hospital's burn unit, 2NEWS has learned.

Cooper says her grandpa did everything he could to save Matthew.

"Grandpa Bill is strong. I know that he's going to be okay. He's been through a lot in the past years, but I'm pretty sure he'll be okay," she said.

Crews say the fire was too aggressive to save Locust.

"We had a report of a victim possibly inside," Taylor said. "The fire was way too advanced. We couldn't make a rescue."

A memorial has placed at the fence of the home.

Stay with KJRH.comĀ  for the latest.

Print this article Back to Top