Police: Bartlesville man strikes child, bloodied nose

A Bartlesville man is sitting in Washington County jail after he allegedly bloodied a juvenile's face and bruised him.

Thirty-three-year-old Sidney Cordey Downing, facing a charge of child abuse, is being held on a $100,000 bond set Thursday during his hearing in Washington County District Court.

According to police, at around 8:05 a.m. Wednesday, they were called to the 900 block of Seneca where a disturbance was reported between a father and child.

Police said when they arrived to the scene, they heard yelling from a home on the 800 block of E. 9 th Street. When they asked the resident — identified as Downing — about the yelling coming from his house, he reportedly told him he had been yelling at his mother over the phone.

While speaking to Downing, however, police noticed a juvenile standing in the house holding tissue to his nose. Downing reportedly explained to police the juvenile "had a nose bleed due to him getting hot at night."

Asking to see the juvenile, police noticed bruising on the juvenile's right side of of his face and apparently fresh markings on his mid-torso.

Downing reportedly told police he never hit any child and then told the juvenile to tell police he was okay.

When police spoke to the mother, she told them the child had had a nose bleed that morning before he went to school and said he had fallen out of his bed and had hit his nose on the frame or floor. She further reportedly said the child was "always hurting himself" leaving bruises and scrapes.

A friend of the mother though told police she did not see the juvenile with a bloody nose or bruises on his face that morning.

The child reportedly told police "his daddy had hit him on the face with his hand," according to the affidavit.

When police entered the house, they spotted "several different spots of blood on the floor leading from the (child's) bedroom to the kitchen."

Following Downing's arrest, police made contact with the boy's sister who said her father had pulled her brother's shirt off and "whipped him on the bottom with his hand" and then whipped him a second time, smacking his face.

She said the mother had gone from the residence when this occurred.

Downing is has been ordered to have no contact with the alleged victim and is due back in court Friday.

Print this article Back to Top