Owner says static electricity to blame for explosion at Tulsa business; fire under investigation

TULSA - The owner of an east Tulsa business that went up in flames Wednesday night says the fire was caused by static electricity.

RELATED: Explosions reported when east Tulsa business burns

Dozens of firefighters responded to Sabre Chem Inc., a producer of oil field chemicals, near 51st and Mingo around 8:30 p.m. after several explosions and flames were reported.

One person sustained minor injuries but refused transport to the hospital.

Fire investigators are still looking into what caused the fire, but the owner tells 2NEWS he believes it started with static electricity.

Scott Bever told 2NEWS he was pouring gasoline into a can when it sparked, creating the fire -- a plausible occurrence, according to Tulsa Fire Department's Capt. Stan May.

Sabre Chem has been in business for 35 years, 20 of which were at the east Tulsa location that burned.

Bever dealt mostly in lubricating oils for everything from race cars to maintenance chemicals for oil fields.

Print this article Back to Top