Tulsa man let off for armed robbery in 2012 attacks UPS delivery woman in December 2013

TULSA, Okla. - A man who pleaded guilty to robbery with a firearm last summer, is in court again. The court sentenced him to a 10-year deferred sentence June 25, 2013.

The state made an extensive objection to letting him off; and now he has done it again. 

Dec. 3, 2013, officers took Merrihew to a Tulsa hospital because they believed he was under the influence of methamphetamine. 

The next morning, Merrihew left the hospital, still in his hospital gown with blood, bandages and IV attached, the police report says. He went across the street and hid in a dumpster at the Economy Pharmacy. 

The UPS driver saw Merrihew and called the police. He asked the driver to use her phone and she said no. That is when Merrihew got agitated and jumped into the truck, reports say. The driver kicked Merrihew in the chest, and he pulled her out of her seat and onto the ground before dragging her out of the vehicle and onto the pavement by her feet.

Merrihew chased the driver into the pharmacy where store security detained him.

Preston Merrihew, 20, of Tulsa, is now accused of dragging a UPS driver out of her truck. 

May 16, 2012,  Merrihew, 18 at the time, committed a home invasion robbery with another unknown male. 

The police report says Merrihew had recently lived with a couple until the couple found him stealing the husband's cancer medication and kicked him out. 

Merrihew and another male forced their way into the home, punching the man and pushing the woman over and producing their guns. 

The unknown man pointed the gun at the man's check and Merrihew pointed the gun at the woman's temple, and demanded money and the cancer and pain medications. 

The couple pleaded insisting he had no money and was unable to pay for his prescriptions. Merrihew and the unknown male took the couples TV and left the house. 

Merrihew was arrested May 17, 2012. 

The report states that if Merrihew is found guilty of violating his probation, he could face anywhere from seven years in custody up to life in prison. And he could also be sentenced up to five years on his new violation.  

The state requested that the court hold Merrihew without bond for the safety of the Tulsa community. 

Print this article Back to Top