Tulsa couple victim of carbon monoxide poisoning

TULSA - A Tulsa family mourns the loss of their father and is at the bedside of their mother after the couple fell victim to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Larry and Tammy Everett were at their Plaza Hills East apartment cooking dinner when they started to get sick.

"About 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning it got to the point to where that both my parents were very very sick," Sarah Everett said she called 9-1-1.

Paramedics rushed her parents, who've been married for 35 years, to the hospital.

Her 53-year-old father died before arriving; her 51-year-old mother was taken to intensive care.

"That man was my best friend and it really sucks. He was my world," Sarah said emotionally.

Tulsa fire investigators found c-o levels inside the apartment that were five times above what is considered to be a safe rate.

They also found the cause.

"Tulsa Fire Hazmat isolated a high carbon monoxide level near the stove," Fire Captain Michael Baker said.

The Everett's were just cooking, but firefighters say this time of year some people use the stove to help heat the house, which is not safe.

Carbon monoxide is called a silent killer; you can't smell it, see it, or taste it.

"It's a time to be c-o aware and it's a time to make sure that if you don't have a c-o detector, that you have one inside your home."

The Everett's stove has been replaced.

Meanwhile, Sarah now mourns the loss of her father and waits for her mom to recover.

"We've had tons of family and friends you know be there for us and help us out and if it wasn't for everybody we have I don't know what we'd do."

Signs of c-o poisoning include: confusion, headaches, being light headed, dizziness, flu like symptoms.

Print this article Back to Top