Investigation under way into courthouse shooting

TULSA - The Tulsa County Courthouse is open for business Thursday after investigators cleared the crime scene from yesterday's shooting in the plaza.

When it was all over, three people were hospitalized, including a Tulsa County sheriff's deputy and the suspect.

Investigators are now trying to figure out what set the suspect off.

Police say 23-year-old Andrew Joseph Dennehy fired several shots into the air around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday outside the courthouse.

Seconds later, Dennehy is shot at least once in the face.

Deputies moved in to surround the suspect, searching and handcuffing him as officers call for paramedics.

Dennehy was later taken to the hospital for surgery.  His wounds are not thought to be life-threatening.

The injured deputy is recovering after having surgery on a gunshot wound to his hand.

A male bystander was also struck by a stray bullet fired by a deputy.

TPD Sgt. Dave Walker says Dennehy acted alone and this is an isolated incident.

"If you think you are not going to encounter a lot of law enforcement with a lot of weapons at the courthouse at 2:30 in the afternoon, then you are obviously not in your right mind," said Walker.

In the past five years or so, Dennehy has faced a number of criminal charges.

In 2007, he pleaded guilty to carrying a firearm under the influence.  A year later, he pleaded guilty to driving under the influence.

In 2010, Dennehy pleaded guilty to public intoxication. 

Now, he's the suspect in Wednesday's shooting.

Officials say Dennehy's brother, Brian, was shot and killed by Tulsa police in 2005.

At the time, Brian Dennehy was wanted for murdering his grandfather.

Police say an officer approached Brian Dennehy's car, unaware Brian lay in wait.  Dennehy sat up and shot at the officer a number of times.

The officer returned fire, killing him.

Andrew Dennehy has not yet been formally charged for Wednesday's shooting.

On Wednesday, Tulsa County Sheriff's Office Spokesperson Sgt. Shannon Clark said the deputy and bystander are recovering and are expected to make a full recovery.

Clark says the suspect is still hospitalized.

Print this article Back to Top