TULSA - A city worker was injured Thursday when a natural gas line ignited.
Tulsa fire officials say a HazMat crew responded to the scene near 77th and South Wheeling.
TFD spokesman Stan May said a city crew was working on a water line when they accidentally hit a gas line, which ignited.
EMSA transported a 43-year-old man to a local hospital in serious condition, with burns to his upper torso, head and hands.
AFSCME Local 1180, a union for city of Tulsa employees, said Thursday night that preliminary reports indicated that the exploded gas line had not been marked. The group also pointed out that a private contractor, not the city of Tulsa, is responsible for marking underground lines.
The union also announced that it, in conjunction with the Bank of Oklahoma, has set up a fund for the injured worker. Donations can be made at the AFSCME Local 1180 office at 1285 S. Detroit Avenue in Tulsa between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.