Fireworks Safety 101

TULSA - The Consumer Product Safety Commission urges consumers to follow these safety steps when using fireworks:

  • Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
  • Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper because this is often a sign that fireworks were made for professional displays. They could pose a danger to the general public.
  • Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don't realize that young children suffer injuries from even things as simple as sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees.
  • Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
  • Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
  • Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
  • Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
  • After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
  • Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.

More fireworks safety information is available at www.cpsc.gov.

Print this article Back to Top