Family escapes flames at north Tulsa home

TULSA - Firefighters say a Tulsa family is lucky to be alive after their home caught fire early Friday morning.

The fire started in the back of the home near 47th Place and North Lewis.

About 30 percent of the home sustained smoke and water damage, though it could have had a much different outcome.

The homeowner says his smoke detectors didn't work.

Firefighters say the family awoke on their own with the fire flaming inside.

When fire crews arrived they saw the homeowner helping his family to safety while struggling to find all his pets.

Firefighters on the scene say this should serve as a reminder to check your smoke detector.  They say the best time to change the batteries is when you change your clocks in the spring and the fall.

"Don't think you'll always wake up like these people did," said District Fire Chief Benny Herring.  "Smoke is very deadly. (It) can overtake you quickly...Rather find you outside waiting for us than us have to go inside looking for you."

Print this article Back to Top

Comments