OOLOGAH, Okla. - A lightning strike has forced the evacuations of 40 homes in a four-block radius of Oologah, Rogers County fire officials have confirmed.
According to Northwest Rogers County Fire Chief David Puckett, lightning struck a power line, which fell on a natural gas meter, around 5:30 p.m. Three meters went up in flames, forcing emergency personnel to evacuate a four-block radius of Oologah.
No injuries were reported, and property damage was limited to a fence and a flatbed trailer catching fire.
The meter fires continued until Oklahoma Gas and Electric workers managed to shut off the gas around 8 p.m. An employee with the company said gas could be restored anytime between two hours and three days for everyone but the homes in which the fires occurred.
Residents have not been allowed to return to their homes, but should be able to within the night following house-to-house gas leak inspection.