Deadly home invasion suspect makes first court appearance

TULSA - The man accused of brutally beating an elderly couple, killing one of them, made his first court appearance Friday, a day after he was arrested.

Twenty-one-year-old Tyrone Woodfork appeared via video conference in front of a judge, who told him he could be charged with first-degree murder, first-degree burglary, two counts of armed robbery and assault with a dangerous weapon.

Woodfork's appearance Friday was short and he spoke only briefly to the judge.

He is accused of beating 85-year-old Nancy Strait and her 90-year-old husband, Bob, in their north Tulsa home.

Police say the Straits were last seen Tuesday evening. The couple's daughter and granddaughter noticed the Straits' vehicle missing from the driveway Wednesday, then they saw the door had been kicked in.

According to the affidavit, police found the Straits inside the home, suffering from injuries that appeared to have been caused by blunt force trauma. Bob Strait had also been shot in the face with a BB gun.

An examination later confirmed Nancy Strait had been sexually assaulted.

She died from her injuries Thursday evening.

Among the items taken from the Straits' home were $200, the BB gun, a 42 inch flat screen TV and the couple's 2001 Dodge Neon.

Police found the stolen vehicle around 1:30 Thursday afternoon in the 5700 block of East Easton after a private citizen recognized the car.

After questioning four individuals, investigators zeroed in on Woodfork as the prime suspect.

According to the affidavit, a witness told investigators Woodfork sold him the 42 inch flat screen TV for $250 Wednesday at a Tulsa gas station.

Officer Jason Willingham says the investigation remains open as police believe more people could be involved.

Woodfork's arraignment is scheduled for March 23.

The family has set up a trust through Arvest Bank called the Nancy Strait and Bob Strait Support Trust.

Meanwhile, Bob Strait remains hospitalized in serious condition.

Print this article Back to Top