Car catches fire on Broken Arrow Expressway; driver blames cigarette, Monster energy drink for blaze
4:21 PM, Jul 5, 2013
TULSA - An apparent cigarette mishap resulted in an east Tulsa car fire Friday.
Fire crews responded to the Broken Arrow Expressway near US-169 Friday afternoon after a passerby phoned 911 about a burning parked car alongside the highway.
Tulsa firefighters found the car charred and put out a small grass fire roughly 20 yards wide. According to the owner of the vehicle, he was smoking a cigarette, and tried to flick it out when it found its way back into the car.
The driver then poured a can of Monster Energy Drink on the growing fire, which, he told police, only accelerated the flames.
No one was hurt and authorities are still looking into the matter.