Bond set for Dewey mother of scalded 16-month-old, more details released

Bond has been set for a Dewey woman arrested Tuesday her 16-month-old daughter was hospitalized with severe burns.

Twenty-three-year-old Danielle Lynn Conner, charged with child neglect and obstruction of officers, appeared in Washington County District Court Wednesday where the judge set her bond at $50,000.

According to the affidavit, the investigation began Monday when a Wichita Police Department detective contacted Dewey police about a 16-month-old who had been transported by helicopter from Jane Phillips Medical Center in Bartlesville to St. Francis Hospital in Wichita, Kan.

The child was in pediatric intensive care with severe burns. Later contact with the Wichita detective revealed the girl had been admitted with "severe second- and third-degree burns to over 30 percent of her body" — the most severe burns being to her feet.

The detective told Dewey Police Investigator Tim Stringer that Conner told hospital staff the baby had knocked a pot of boiling water off the stove and onto the floor where the child was seated; however, the "mechanism of injury" to the child did not match the injury, said the detective, who said the child's injuries were submersion burns.

Around 11:30 a.m. the same day, Stringer answered a call from Conner who repeated the same story, saying the child had knocked a pot of boiling water on the ground and that the water soaked the girl's pants, causing the burns to her legs.

After viewing pictures of the girl's burns, Stringer determined the pattern did not match Conner's account but rather indicated "both feet had been submerged in extremely hot water," according to the affidavit.

At the Dewey Police Department Tuesday morning during an interview, Conner reportedly told Stringer she had placed the girl in a bathtub in water that "was not hot" with a 3-year-old child.

Conner said she left the children for 10 minutes before she heard crying.  The 3-year-old found her and tried to tell her something she said she could not understand.

Conner told Stringer she thought the 16-month-old was crying about a toy taken by the 3-year-old. She said when she came back to the bathroom, she noticed the hot water on and the girl screaming

Conner said she immediately lifted the child from the water and "the skin fell off her legs."

Conner reportedly told Stringer she had lied earlier because she was afraid the 3-year-old would be in trouble because she believed the 3-year-old had turned on the hot water.

Conner is due back in court Thursday.

Print this article Back to Top