Federal agency to investigate credit report errors, complaints

Consumers having problems getting errors addressed on their credit reports can now get help from the federal government.

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau , or CFPB, will now investigate inaccurate information on credit reports, the improper use of people's reports and problems people have obtaining copies of their reports or credit scores.

Consumers should go through the credit reporting agency's complaint process first. If the problem isn't fixed, then contact the CFPB to file a complaint.

Complaints can be filed online at consumerfinance.gov or by calling toll-free at 1-855-411-2372.

They can also be faxed to 1-855-237-2392 or mailed to the CFPB, P.O. Box 4503, Iowa City, Iowa, 52244.

Print this article Back to Top