TULSA - The Tulsa Food Guy serves up these tasty treats that can be used as a side dish or an entire meal.
- 2 8 ounce cans of oysters (can substitute with fresh shucked oysters)
- 2 sleeves of crumbled saltine crackers (about. 2 cups)
- 1 stick of butter or margarine
- 1 cup heavy cream (can substitute milk)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Half a lemon
- Dash of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drain oysters from juice. Save the juice.
Combine cream, Worcestershire sauce, oyster juice, hot sauce, juice from lemon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Use butter or cooking spray to coat a casserole dish. Cover bottom of dish with a thin layer of the crumbled crackers.
Cover crackers with a layer of oysters, then another layer of crackers, topped with a few pats of butter. Pour some of the cream mixture over it. Repeat the layers until you use up all the oysters (number of layers will depend on the size/depth of your dish.
Top last layer off with a thin layer of crackers and a few pats of butter. Bake at 350 degrees for about 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned.
Serve as a side dish or as a standalone meal.