TULSA - Natalie Mikles from Made in Oklahoma shares this grand-prize winning recipe from Chad Davis, of Oklahoma City.
Okra and Jalapeno Hushpuppies with Sweet Tomato and Horseradish Dipping Sauce
- Peanut Oil, for frying
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 small yellow onion, grated
- 1 jalapeno, diced finely
- 2 cups fresh okra, thin "sliver" sliced
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup canned cream corn (strained to 1 cup)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Dipping Sauce ingredients:
- 1 jar Suan's Sweet Tomato Jam
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
Heat oil to 375 degrees. Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar and paprika in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, and stir to combine.
Using a tablespoon, spoon batter into the hot oil and fry until golden brown and cooked through (four to five minutes). Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt as soon as they are removed from the oil.
Dipping Sauce instructions:
Combine tomato jam and horseradish and stir to combine. Serve with hushpuppies.