TULSA - These fresh summer recipes combine our favorite in-season fruits and veggies from the farmers market with some of our favorite Made in Oklahoma Coalition products.
This July menu is perfect for entertaining family and friends for a poolside gathering or backyard al fresco dinner.
Smokin’ Hot Sausage and Pepper Subs
- 8 Mountain View Meat Company Sausage Hot Links
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Daddy Hinkle’s Instant Meat Marinade (liquid)
- 2 teaspoons Andrews Honey Bees Cream Honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and coarsely ground pepper, to taste
- Hoagie-style buns for 4 sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons Hiland Dairy Butter
- 1/4 cup Suan’s Scotch Bonnet Pepper Relish
Heat outdoor grill to medium heat.
Quarter bell peppers and onion. Rub with olive oil.
In a medium bowl, combine Daddy Hinkle’s marinade, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Place hot links on grill, about 8 inches from the heat. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, turning frequently to prevent burning. At the same time, grill peppers and onions, about 2 minutes on each side or until tender. Remove from heat.
Cut each sausage lengthwise. Slice peppers and onions into strips. Place hot links and peppers and onions in bowl with the Daddy Hinkle’s mixture. Spoon mixture over all to thoroughly coat.
Place buns on grill to lightly toast, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and spread inside of each bun with butter.
Fill each bun with hot links, peppers, onion and Suan’s Scotch Bonnet Pepper Relish.
Smoked Corn Pudding
- 4 ears corn, husks and silks removed
- 1 (14-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 cup Hiland Dairy Sour Cream
- 1 package Shawnee Mills Corn Muffin Mix
- 1/2 stick Hiland Dairy Butter
- 1 teaspoon Head Country All Purpose Championship Seasoning
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Using a sharp knife, remove kernels from ears of corn. Place kernels in a large bowl, and stir together with the cream-style can corn, sour cream, corn muffin mix, butter and Head Country seasoning. Pour into a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Remove from oven, then top with smoked cheddar. Continue to bake for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve warm.
Red, White and Blueberry Shortcakes with Honey Cream
- 2 cups Shawnee Mills All Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Hiland Dairy Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Hiland Dairy Milk
- 2 pints strawberries, sliced
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups Hiland Dairy Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/4 cup Andrews Honey Bees Cream Honey
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter, using a pastry cutter or two forks, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually stir in milk until a soft dough forms.
Drop the dough into eight mounds on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 425-degree oven for about 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
In a small bowl, combine strawberries, blueberries and orange juice. Add sugar, according to taste, until sweetened. Set aside.
Pour the whipping cream into a large mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed until slightly thickened, then turn to high, continuing to mix until soft peaks have formed. Stop the mixer, add honey, then continue to beat with the mixer until thoroughly combined.
Slice each shortcake in half horizontally. Place bottom halves on plates, then top with whipped cream and berries. Add a shortcake top to each.