TULSA - Caprese pasta salad
- 1 box of pasta
- 1 carton cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 block of mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- basil pesto vinaigrette (recipe below)
Basil pesto vinaigrette:
- 1 1/2 cups of basil leaves
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons of red or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of lemon
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt/pepper
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
Put basil leaves, parmesan cheese, vinegar, lemon, garlic, lemon zest and salt/pepper in a blender. Blend. Pour 1/2 cup of olive oil slowly into the blender via the top attachment. Serve once smooth.
Instructions for the salad:
Cook pasta according to directions. Pour cold water over pasta after draining and stir into a large bowl. Add in the cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, red onion, and salt and pepper. Stir in the basil pesto vinaigrette. Evenly incorporate. Serve cold.
If you want to make this dish even more festive for Memorial Day Weekend, add 4-5 drops of blue food coloring to the boiling water for the pasta. The more food coloring you use, the darker blue the pasta gets. Or just serve in a big blue bowl:).