OSU Vet Sciences remind pet owners of Halloween dangers

TULSA - Halloween is often a favorite holiday -- especially for children -- but the festivities can also bring well-known dangers.

Less familiar, however, are the hazards household pets can face come October 31.

Oklahoma State's Center for Veterinary Health Sciences released a list of common pitfalls Tuesday. Take a look.

  • Chocolate¬† contains chemicals that are dangerous to pets; the darker the chocolate, the more dangerous
  • Candy and other sweet foods can be poisonous to pets and in large quantities it can be fatal
  • Xylitol (sugar substitute) used in sugar-free gum/candy, nicotine gum, toothpaste, baked goods and chewable vitamins is highly poisonous to dogs and can cause low blood sugar and liver damage resulting in vomiting, seizures and collapse
  • Grapes and raisins are extremely poisonous to dogs
  • Candy wrappers can sometimes cause a life-threatening bowel obstruction, which may require surgery to correct
  • Glow sticks and glow jewelry contents, often ingested by cats, can cause mouth pain and irritation
  • Costumes can impair vision, movement or air intake; beads or other small parts can cause poisoning if swallowed; dying or coloring your pet's fur can be harmful
  • Candles can burn curious noses and wagging tails
Print this article Back to Top