TULSA - As Halloween quickly approaches many are looking for a good scare.
Here's a list of the 25 top movies sure to haunt your nightmares. Enjoy!
- Thir13en Ghosts (2001) - When Cyrus Kriticos, a very rich collector of unique things dies, he leaves it all to his nephew and his family. All including his house, his fortune, and his malicious collection of ghosts!
- Altered States (1980) - A Harvard scientist conducts experiments on himself with a hallucinatory drug and an isolation chamber that may be causing him to regress genetically.
- The Amityville Horror (1979) - Newlyweds move into a house where a murder was committed, and experience strange manifestations which drive them away.
- Carrie (1976) - A mousy and abused girl with telekinetic powers gets pushed too far on one special night.
- The Exorcist (1973) - When a teenager is possessed by a mysterious entity, her mother seeks the help of two priests to save her daughter.
- Friday the 13th (1980) - Camp counselors are stalked and murdered by an unknown assailant while trying to re-open a summer camp that was the site of a child's drowning.
- The Gates of Hell (2008) - Five adventurous filmmakers set out to make an online interactive movie exploring the nature of evil.
- Halloween (1978) - A psychotic murderer institutionalized since childhood escapes on a mindless rampage while his doctor chases him through the streets.
- The Haunting (1963) - Dr. Markway, doing research to prove the existence of ghosts, investigates Hill House, a large, eerie mansion with a lurid history of violent death and insanity.
- Hellraiser (1987) - An unfaithful wife encounters the zombie of her dead lover, who's being chased by demons after he escaped from their sado-masochistic Hell.
- The Hills Have Eyes (2006) - A suburban American family is being stalked by a group of psychotic people who live in the desert, far away from civilization.
- It (1990) - In 1960, seven outcast kids known as "The Loser Club" fight an evil demon who poses as a child-killing clown. 30 years later, they are called back to fight the same clown again.
- Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - In the dreams of his victims, a spectral child murderer stalks the children of the members of the lynch mob that killed him.
- Psycho (1960) - A young woman steals $40,000 from her employer's client, and subsequently encounters a young motel proprietor too long under the domination of his mother.
- Rec (2007) - "REC" turns on a young TV reporter and her cameraman who cover the night shift at the local fire station.
- The Ring (2002) - A young journalist must investigate a mysterious videotape which seems to cause the death of anyone in a week of viewing it.
- Rosemary's Baby (1968) - A young couple move into a new apartment, only to be surrounded by peculiar neighbors and occurrences. When the wife becomes mysteriously pregnant, paranoia over the safety of her unborn child begins controlling her life.
- Salem's Lot (1979) - Vampires are invading a small New England town. It's up to a novelist and a young horror fan to save it.
- Saw (2004) - With a dead body laying between them, two men wake up in the secure lair of a serial killer who's been nicknamed "Jigsaw".
- Se7en (1995) - Two detectives, a rookie and a veteran, hunt a serial killer who uses the seven deadly sins as his modus operandi.
- The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - A young FBI cadet must confide in an incarcerated and manipulative killer to receive his help on catching another serial killer who skins his victims.
- Silent Hill (2006) - A woman goes in search for her daughter, within the confines of a strange, desolate town called Silent Hill.
- The Shining (1980) - A family heads to an isolated hotel for the winter where an evil and spiritual presence influences the father into violence, while his psychic son sees horrific forebodings from the past and of the future.
- Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - Five friends visiting their grandpa's old house are hunted down and terrorized by a chainsaw wielding killer and his family of grave-robbing cannibals.
- The Thing (1982) - Scientists in the Antarctic are confronted by a shape-shifting alien that assumes the appearance of the people that it kills.
Did we miss your favorite scary movie? Tell us what it is in the comment section below.
For more on the Halloween season, go to our Halloween Headquarters.