Vicky Williams from Saint Antony Orthodox Church joined 2NEWS Midday for Fun Food Friday in time for the annual Hafli Fetsival, a celebration of Lebanese food and Culture.
Hafli is Thursday through Sunday at the church, located at 6th and Columbia just west of the TU Soccer Field.
Tickets for the dinner are $15.
CHICKPEA DIP (HUMMUS)
1 cup dried chickpeas or 1 (15-ounce) can
3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
1/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
Parsley sprigs (optional)
1. Rinse canned or dried chickpeas under cold water and drain. (Dried chickpeas should be soaked overnight and then boiled for an hour before they are ground.)
2. Pulverize chickpeas and 1/3 cup water in food processor or electric blender.
3. Add tahini and lemon juice slowly. Whip until smooth.
4. Add garlic that has been crushed with salt and mix well. Pour into serving dish and garnish with parsley and paprika.
PHYLLO CHEESE ROLL-UPS
12 sheets phyllo dough
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 cup melted butter
1. Cut each dough sheet in half to make 24 pieces. Brush melted butter on each sheet.
2. Put 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of each of the cheeses on each piece and fold ends toward center and roll, securing ends with a little butter.
3. Place in a buttered pan and bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve immediately.
2 large eggplants
1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, diced
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (12 ounce) can tomato puree, diluted with water
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup pine nuts
1. Wash, peel and slice eggplants into 1/2 inch rounds. Rub butter on both sides and place on buttered cookie sheet under boiler. Brown on both sides.
2. Place ground meat in skillet with onions, spices and butter. Cook until meat is done. Add pine nuts and stir.
3. Place eggplant rounds, side by side, in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Slit center of the eggplant and fill with meat stuffing. Pour tomato puree, diluted with water, over eggplants. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve over cooked rice.