Areal Flood Advisory issued April 18 at 6:25AM CDT expiring April 18 at 9:30AM CDT in effect for: Cherokee, Haskell, LeFlore, Mayes, Muskogee, Sequoyah, Wagoner
Ingredients for Pelmeni Dough:
- ⅔ cups buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups warm water
- 1½ tsp salt
- 7 cups plus 6 Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
Ingredients for Pelmeni Filling:
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp hot sauce, optional
How to Make Basic Vareniky or Pelmeni Dough:
- Using the whisk attachment on medium speed, mix together: ⅔ cup buttermilk, 1 tbsp of sour cream 2 cups warm water, 2 eggs and 1½ tsp salt until well blended
- Switch to dough hook and add 4 cups flour. Mix on speed 2 until well blended.
- Add 3 more cups of flour (one cup at a time and wait for the dough to become well blended with each cup).
- Add the rest of the flour 1 Tbsp at a time, until the dough is no longer sticking to the sides of the bowl (I used 6 Tbsp). Once it is no longer sticking to the bowl, continue to mix 5 minutes. (Total mixing time is about 20 minutes from the time you start adding flour).
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface.
How to Make Pelmeni Filling:
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a medium skillet. Add onion and saute until golden and soft. Add garlic and saute another minute.
- Mix together beef, onion & garlic mix, ¾ tsp salt, ½ tsp ground pepper and 1 tsp hot sauce (optional).
Making Pelmeni by Hand:
- Shape a portion of the dough into a 1 to 2 -inch thick log. Cut off 1 piece at a time (about gum ball sized) and roll into disks to form a 1.5-inch circle with rolling pin. Sprinkle rolling pin and surface with flour if needed.
- Place 1 tsp pelmeni filling in the center,
- Close the edges and pinch together.
- Pinch the corners together to form, well… a diaper shape.
- Place pelmeni onto a well-floured cutting board. Arrange pelmeni evenly on the cutting board, sprinkle with flour and place in the freezer.
- Once they are fully frozen, put them in large ziploc bags, sprinkle with flour and freeze them for future enjoyment.
To Cook Pelmeni:
- Bring a pot of water to boil (add 1 tbsp salt for a large soup pot, or 1 tsp salt for a smaller 4 quart pot). Add FROZEN pelmeni and return to a boil. They should float to the top, then boil for 3 mintues longer (or until meat is fully cooked). Drain pelmeni and place them in a clean bowl. Toss pelmeni with butter and sprinkle with dill (optional). Serve them warm with ketchup, sour cream or vinegar (my personal favorite).