Halloween will be here before you know it and yes, that means there will be lots of tempting candy and treats around the house!
So how can you and your children enjoy the holiday without sabotaging your efforts to stay healthy?
It may be a challenge, but it can be done!
Tiffani Bachus says it's all in the planning. All you need to do is make healthier choices when shopping for Halloween candy and when getting ready to take your kids trick-or-treating.
Here are some of Tiffani's tips for having a happy and healthy Halloween!
Healthy Halloween Tips:
1. Don't buy your favorite candy
2. Choose dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate and avoid candy with high fructose corn syrup
3. Buy pretzels or chips instead of candy
4. Stay away from gummy or chewy candy to keep kid's teeth healthy
5. Buy stickers, tattoos, small toys, etc. instead of candy, for younger kids
6. Buy candy as close to Halloween as possible and keep closed until Halloween day
7. Have kids pick out their 10 favorite pieces of candy (they can have one piece a day) and give the rest of the candy to the "Halloween fairy" in exchange for a toy or game of their choice.
8. Share a nourishing meal with your kids before heading out to trick or treat so you won't overindulge.