As Poore brothers head to court, residents say Fairmont Terrace is quieter, but crime is ongoing
7:02 PM, Jul 15, 2013
11:39 AM, Jul 16, 2013
TULSA - Six months after a quadruple homicide occurred at a south Tulsa apartment complex, some residents say life is quieter at the complex while others say the criminal activity is still ongoing.
One of those Fairmont Terrace residents, Melissa Tate, says that when she moved into the apartment complex in June 2012, she was afraid to leave her apartment.
'It's been horrifying in the beginning," she says, "I kept to myself because I was a minority. I was scared to leave my apartment, stayed inside most of the time, didn't leave unless I had to go to the grocery store."
The daily routine, Tate says, involved gun shots, fighting and yelling.
"There was at least one shooting every day. Gun shots all the time. Screaming, yelling, gang fights," Tate says.
On the day that Tulsa police swarmed to Fairmont Terrace where they found four murdered women, Tate wasn't home. After discovering what happened yards from her apartment door, she says she didn't return to the 61st and Peoria Avenue apartment complex for a week.
Tate, who is pregnant with her third child and has a 9-month-old girl and a 2-year-old son, said it's necessary for her family's safety that they get out of the Fairmont Terrace apartment complex as soon as possible.
"I don't want them growing up around drugs. I don't want them growing up around violence. I want them growing up knowing right from wrong," Tate says.
Outside the complex, the apartment has turned its attention toward checking the identities of every person who enter its gates.
Also outside those gates, according to 2nd District City Councilor Jeannie Cue, 140 arrests were made in the last month.
"It is being cut down. It's a step by step because this has been an area that people think they can commit crimes, but we're working with the Tulsa Police Department, the residents, the non-profit groups and the businesses to stop that," Cue says.
Cue launched the Quality of Life Task Force in the wake of the quadruple murder.
She says the group still meets regularly and has grown from 70 members to 80 members.
While Cue couldn't provide specific details of their plan, she says a new ownership group is going to change the culture of the apartment complex when they take over in a few months.
"We're working with the new owners of Fairmont to make sure this is a safer environment. We're doing a needs study to assess what are the needs in this area and also starting to work with the businesses in this area. We've met with Warehouse Market. We've met with the daycare that's on 61st. We want to get all the businesses together where they can come to quarterly meetings."
But no matter what changes occur, Tate says she's going to be leaving the first chance she gets.
"I would actually suggest that they shut this place down, to be honest. "
Cedric and James Poore, the men accused of murdering the four women at the complex in January, were
in court Monday for a preliminary hearing. They've pleaded not guilty to the murders.