Paul Simon and Edie Brickell's disorderly conduct case postponed

A disorderly conduct case involving veteran singer/songwriter PAUL SIMON and his wife EDIE BRICKELL has been delayed until next month (Jun14).

The couple, which will celebrate its 22nd wedding anniversary on 30 May (14), returned to a Connecticut courtroom on Friday (16May14) after the musicians were both issued misdemeanor citations following a domestic dispute at their New Canaan home in late April (14).

Their lawyer, Andrew Bowman, had requested Superior Court Judge William Wenzel ban the media from the hearing, but the motion was denied. The judge said, "Everyone who comes into this court is presumed innocent and our general policy is to allow open media access so I am overruling that request."

Simon, who held hands with Brickell during the hearing, then attempted to address the judge, only to be promptly silenced.

Judge Wenzel told the defendants, "Let your attorney speak."

Neither Simon nor Brickell uttered a word in court after the interruption and their case was subsequently postponed until 17 June (14).

The singers have put on a united front since news of their domestic drama hit headlines last month (Apr14), with Simon branding the argument "atypical" of the pair.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments